Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Finally, Tomatoes


Better late than never. My tomatoes were so slow in growing this year, I thought I'd never have more than one tomato at a time. Finally, here we are in the middle of July, and I have tomatoes galore. So what should you do with all those ripe tomatoes? I have two recipes to help you out, one using ripe tomatoes, the other using firm green tomatoes. I hope you like them.

Golden Gazpacho Soup


  • 2 lbs. golden tomato cored and quartered

  • 1 small yellow onion, diced

  • 1 medium yellow squash, halved lengthwise and thickly sliced

  • 1 garlic cloved, minced

  • 1 yellow pepper, cored and seeded, and cut in chunks

  • 1/2 c. carrot juice

  • 3 T. sherry wine vinegar

  • 2 T. olive oil

  • coarse salt

  • 1 avocado, diced

  • 1 small red heirloom tomato

Place all ingredients in a blender, except the last two, and blend until desired consistency is reached. Some like a smooth soup, I prefer a little texture, so I tend to keep in chunky. Refrigerate for at least two hours, garnish with avocado slices and red tomatoes.



Fried Green Tomatoes



  • 3 medium firm green tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch slices and sprinkled with salt

  • 1/2 c. all purpose flour

  • 1/4 c. milk

  • 2 beaten eggs

  • 2/3 c. dry bread crumbs

  • 1/2 c. olive oil for frying

  • salt and pepper

Allow salted tomato slices to sit for fifteen minutes, then dip in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Fry in skillet with olive oil for 4-6 minutes. Salt and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment