Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tommy V's Urban Kitchen: You're Going to Love It

On a recent summer weeknight, friends Jeff and Cookie joined me at Tommy V's Urban Kitchen in Bressi Ranch (Palomar Airport Road and El Fuerte). I was hoping, as I always do, when a new restaurant opens in North County, that this was going to be the one that I can go back to again and again and not be disappointed. Everything about my first visit tells me I have found that place.

I frequently complain that the restaurants in the area are what I call, "Plain Vanilla". The Italian restaurants are all the same items we've seen for 30 years and the chain restaurants are, well, chain restaurants. I am looking for ambience, innovation, freshness and good service. I got all of these at Tommy V's.

First, the restaurant itself is located in the new Bressi Ranch center, which I find so inviting. It's like a little village, with Trader Joe's and Stater Bros. right there, in addition to many casual eateries and local businesses moving in all the time to make it a full service shopping center. Tommy V's is gorgeous. Sleek, contemporary and spacious. It's a little noisy, but I liked it. There was an energy in the room. Attractive looking customers of all ages, and a busy bar area. I liked the fact that we wanted to order from the bar menu but did not have to sit in the bar. We sat at a low table looking out on the patio and had a nice dinner at a comfortable table.

The owner is Melissa Maggiore. She comes from a family of restauranteurs, from Arizona and California. She opened La Bruschetta in La Jolla and Zibbo Italian Bistro in Encinitas. The family also started a winery in Sicily and in 2002 introduced their Italian wine to the American market. Her goal at Tommy V's is to offer an eclectic menu showcasing New American and Contemporary Italian dishes. Pizza, pasta, burgers, seafood and appetizers are all represented on the menu. By North County standards, they're open late, 10pm during the week and 11pm on weekends. Check their website for happy hours, specials and full menus. www.tommyvsurbankitchen.com.

The bar menu is great for sharing. There were three of us for dinner so we decided to order 4 items and share everything. During happy hour (3:30-6:30) all bar menu items are $2 off. We ordered ahi poke with crispy wontons, Tommy's Filet Mignon bruschetta (grilled filet, blue cheese mayo, fresh tomato basil), seared salmon salad, and saganaki (Greek cheese flambeed tableside, flatbread). Every dish was exceptional. The most interesting dish was the cheese. It was a large square of thin cheese, maybe 6 inches by six inches, covered with brandy, then flambeed. The result was a fondue type tasting soft, gooey cheese with a hint of brandy. It was served with triangles of flatbread. This was delcious and something I would go back for. All the other dishes we ordered were excellent too. I cannot find anything to criticize. On my next visit I will try the Urban Board, a variety of artisan cheeses, cured meats, artichokes, country olives with flatbread. That's the most expensive thing on the menu at $15 less $2 if you go during happy hour.

Also on the bar menu are pancetta wrapped grilled prawns, crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, several pizza choices and steamed mussels. Drinks are also offered at a reduced price during happy hour.

I won't even begin to go through the regular menu, but it includes many of these items in addition to some more substantial main courses. I will go back again and try the dinner.

Service was exceptional. Our waiter knew the menu well and was comfortable taking the time to explain various items to us. Drinks were refilled without asking, and service was prompt.

Finally, a restaurant in North County that is everything I'm looking for in a dining experience. I can't wait to go back again. Tommy V's, you're doing a great job. Keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment