Monday, July 5, 2010

Twenty Fourth Visit to Taft

I felt very peaceful as I drove down the long dusty road from Taft today. It's about a 25 minute ride on a 2-lane highway, and I usually zone out during this time. I have so much going through my head from our visit I usually can't focus on anything. But today I was smiling because of something that occurred during visitation that showed me how important networking is to the inmates at Taft.

We were about two hours into our visit. Ron, being the social butterfly that he is, had introduced me to some of his new friends, and reintroduced me to many I had met before. In walked a man I had not seen prior to today, and Ron waved to him and asked him to come over. He is new to Taft, arriving just last week, and this was his first day of visitation. His wife had made the long drive to come see him, and I could see they were both a little hesitant about the whole process. Ron warmly shook his hand, and then the new inmate introduced his wife to us. Ron assured his wife that he and a group of other inmates would take care of her husband. They would make sure he learned the ropes, had everything he needed, and would help him with anything, especially emotional support. They were both so appreciative.

Next, I saw the two of them go over to two other tables where Ron's friends were also having visitation. Again, these men told the wife and new inmate that they were there to help and support him in whatever he needed. As I saw her walk away from the last table, there were tears in her eyes. I pointed this out to Ron, and he knew right away that these were tears of joy. She was overcome with the support she knew her husband was getting from other inmates at Taft and she was no longer afraid for him. She was feeling great relief, knowing that this small group of men would make sure her husband was comfortably settled and give him any emotional support he needed.

I know all too well the feeling she had. I remember my first visit to Taft, not knowing what to expect, not knowing how Ron was doing or what he was doing. (after all I had almost no phone contact with him before I came for my first visit) It is so comforting to know that there are men there that actually care about each other. Unlike the outside world, these men have nothing but time on their hands and are able to spend hours talking to each other when necessary. They offer great strength to each other which gives strength and peace to the wives. Knowing that your husband is in a safe place with a few people that truly care, well, that makes me smile. I said I would write about changes this week, but that will have to wait until next time. Until then, happy 4th of July!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment