Monday, July 26, 2010

Twenty Seventh Visit To Taft

Now that I've had company on the drive to Taft for the last few weeks, I find the driving time going very quickly. Carole and I start talking, and before I know it, we're there. Unfortunately she will be going back to school in a few weeks so my driving companion will be gone. It sure has helped for a short while.

I have spoken of "time" before, and the many ways to count time, to mark off the calendar as we get closer to Ron's release date. But I have not said that I still feel living in the present is what it's all about. Living in either the past or the future does not work for me. Of course I think about the future, our future, but I cherish each moment every day.

I've never been one to wish my life away. There are those who are always wishing for something in the future and never enjoying the present. When we were kids we were wishing for Christmas or our birthday or for summer vacation and never enjoying each day. Of course I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wishing for this ordeal to be over, I am counting the days. But I am also concentrating on enjoying each day to the fullest. Some of my friends marvel at how busy I am. I have always been one who has a million things going at once. I like it that way. Now that I have less responsibility I actually have time to do more. I have only myself to take care of. My days are filled with working, writing, reading, bridge, yoga, exercise, mah jongg, golf, eating out and going to the beach. These are the things I love. Luckily I have some wonderful friends to enjoy these activites with.

Yoga and meditation (yes I can quiet my mind for these important practices) have taught me to calm my mind, focus on the present and be still. These are all very hard things to do, but the peace and tranquility from practicing mediation and yoga are immeasurable. No one knows what tomorrow might bring, so let's all enjoy every moment.

During my visit with Ron on Friday I practiced this very thing. I never once looked at the clock or thought about what time it was or what I had to do later in the day. We had lots to talk about. There's lots going on in our family and so little phone time. I can't wait for the day they get e-mail at Taft. How could it take so long? Only one answer, bureauracy.

Keeping busy helps time go faster. I enjoy each day, look forward to what's on the calendar for tomorrow, and before I know it another week has gone by. Ron's time is not moving quite so fast for him, and next week I'll tell you more about what he does daily to keep busy, especially during the summer when things are so slow and it's so hot there you can fry an egg on the pavement.

Regarding my trying to enjoy each moment, I just have to mention my drive home on Friday. Carole and I left at 12:45, moved along nicely until we got to Magic Mountain, where there was a big brush fire on the side of the road and a big delay. I dropped Carole off, picked up my mother and drove to San Diego thinking the diamond lane would move right along. We did not arrive home until 6:30. What a nightmare. I certainly wasn't enjoying the moment on the drive home. I was thinking of the future, in my bed in my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment