Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kitchen 4140 is Delicious




Wow! is all I can say after my first visit to Kitchen 4140. The restaurant is inspired by chef Kurt Metzger. Kurt has given us a restaurant one longs to return to. As I finished my lunch, I couldn't wait to figure out when I could return. Not soon enough.

Kitchen 4140 serves breakfast and lunch only. With each plate, Metzger tells a story about San Diego. It's incredible diversity of agriculture and artisan farmers, its diverse heritage of French, Mexican and Italian and it's consistent focus on organic and sustainably farmed fruits and vegetables, make this restaurant a great place to dine. The restaurant grows many of its own herbs and vegetables. You can't get any fresher than that.

Now, for the star, the food. Using the freshest and finest ingredients, Kurt Metzger has created a menu that will cause you to change your mind several times before finally ordering. Some of their popular breakfast items include blue jumbo lump crab meat benedict, wild mushrooms, red onion, peppers, 2 poached eggs, chive-chervil creme fraiche, bing cherry and chocolate granola, lavender honey. Home fries and toast and jams accompany most egg dishes. Lunch, which is the meal we ate on our first visit has daily specials and daily soups. I had a gnocchi dish with leeks and bacon, which was not quite what I expected but which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was done in an Asian style, with several types of mushrooms, squash and tomatoes in an Asian broth. Wow, was it great. Probably the best item was Regina's short rib sandwich with fries. The beef is beer braised, served with pickled onion and mango chutney and asian slaw. It was truly delicious. Regina said it was one of the best sandwiches she ever ate. I agree. Jean ordered the bistro burger which was unusual with carmelized onions, haverti cheese and aioli. Other lunch items that will have to await my next visit include mussels and frites, fish and chips, salad nicoise, and several other sandwiches and pastas that sound great. We just had to try the bread pudding with raspberry coulis and vanilla ice cream for dessert. Great.

The restaurant is located on Moreno Blvd in an area of decorator and design shops. It's an unlikely place for a restaurant, but they seem to be doing well. I hope so anyway, as it's a place I want to return to again and again. They do lots of take out and they also have a catering business. Next time you want to try something new, give Kitchen 4140 a try. It's fresh, innovative, organic and down right delicious.

4 comments:

  1. I agree this place is awesome. This is what San Diego needed! I've heard the beer braised Short Rib Sandwich is going to be featured on United Tastes of America on the Cooking Channel. You seem to be spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Kitchen 4140 is an excellent place for a great meal. I live in Hawaii, but I always visit Kitchen 4140 when I'm in San Diego. Chef Kurt is such a warm, friendly person, who makes dining here a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place has become our new favorite. There's always something interesting to eat. Love their big drink selection for teas & coffees - all organic/fair trade. I'm gluten free, so they always seem to accommodate me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The TENS machine by now is not any unfamiliar technology.

    The builders of the Ab Coaster declare you only need to use it three minutes for every day.


    My website - flex Mini review

    ReplyDelete