Friday, August 31, 2012

A Night Under The Stars

Sometimes we need to just stop and remind ourselves  of what we've got.  Ron and I had such a moment a few weeks ago, when we went to an outdoor concert (Summer Pops) to hear the music of Abba.  Ron had not been there in several years, so when I told him to wear a warm jacket and I would bring a blanket, he thought I was kidding.  As the evening wore on, he was glad he had both. 

We live in a magical city.  Our evening began late in the afternoon, with a barbeque on Fran and Jim's boat.  It was a beautiful sunny day, the sun was glistening as it set in the West, and we were enjoying good friends, good wine, and the most delicious barbequed lamb chops we'd had EVER.  How lucky we are to live in San Diego.

Sitting in the stands for the Abba concert got me to looking around at the people and our surroundings.  Old men and women, middle aged families and young children, black, white, brown, you name it, they were there, all to enjoy the music we love and know so well. I looked to the right and saw the sleek, tall buildings and hotels of downtown San Diego.  I looked to the left and saw small and medium boats anchored just off shore to watch, and I guess, hear, the concert.  I looked farther left, and a little behind me and saw the expansive Coronado bridge and the beaches and homes of its tiny community and was struck by all this beauty.  How could we want to live anywhere else?  (we don't).  Of course there are many beautiful places on earth, but this must be one of the most beautiful.  Not only do we have the gorgeous beaches (Coronado beach was just voted top beach) and beach communities, but we have a vibrant downtown, with art, music and food for every taste. 

On this particular evening we both sat and smiled at each other.  How lucky we were to be enjoying the city, our friends, good music, and each other in such a special setting.  I've been to the Summer Pops many times before, but were never struck with this thought.  It was a magical night.

No comments:

Post a Comment