Thursday, August 23, 2012

Restaurant Openings and Closings

Restaurants open and close so quickly, it's almost impossible to keep up with them.  I have a few noteworthy openings to tell you about, and some closings as well.  Craftsman Bar and Tavern now occupies the space previously taken by Savory.  (in Encinitas).  Craftsman is the second restaurant from Wade Hageman, who used to be the executive chef at Blanca in Solana Beach, before he open Blue Ribbon Artisan Pizza, about 2 years ago.  The menu at Craftsman is vey different, although some of the favorites from Blue Ribbon, like butterscotch pudding and truffel oil popcorn, are on the menu.  I haven't tried it yet, but plan to soon, and will review it at that time.  I can't wait to try it.  Another new restaurant in San Diego which I plan to try soon is True Food Kitchen.  One of the partners is Dr. Andrew Weil, so you know the food is healthy and fresh.  I will review it too, as soon as I can.  Soon to open in the Michael's center in Encinitas is Nosh Deli.  At last a Jewish deli, or so they say.  I'll be first in line when it opens.  Finally, the new Pacific Coast Grill in Cardiff is open for business.  I have not eaten there, but if it's as good as the old location in Solana Beach, it will be a big hit.  Killer views of the ocean and a night club make this a likely new "hot spot."

Several closings have occurred, most of which happened quietly, and I did not know about.  John's Waffle Shop in La Jolla has served it's last meal.  I had been going there for over 30 years.  I don't know how long they'd been in business, but a very long time.  Too bad.  Azul La Jolla is also closed.  I thought the food was pretty good.  I bet the high rent got them.  Vigilucci's Seafood, Steak and Chophouse in La Jolla has also closed.  My old friend Mauricio, was the maitre 'd there, and I know the food was good, but again, high rent probably got them in the end.  Finally, Paradise Grill in the Flower Hill Mall in Del Mar recently closed.  It was such a pretty restaurant inside and out, on the back patio.  I thought the food only fair, and although they tried everything from Happy Hour to two for ones, they couldn't make it. 

Keeping up with openings, closings and changes in chefs is a full time job.  These are just a few I thought you might like to know about.  The good chefs from these restaurants will survive.  They'll find another gig or start their own.  Our restaurant scene is evolving, and hopefully the good will survive, and the not so good will close and be replaced by something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment