Friday, August 17, 2012

A Perfect Summer Day

Yesterday, August 15, was one of those perfect summer days.  We sometimes lose sight of what's really important, and Wednesday reinforced to me how lucky I am to live where I do, and partake in all this place has to offer. 

My day began at 6:45 as it always does, with a 30 minute walk with Pepper.  It was the first day I could feel that the heatwave might be breaking, and I looked forward to a spectacular day.  I was not disappointed.  Next, I was off to the gym for an 8:00am Zumba class.  Although my knee prevents me from doing many of the moves, I still get a pretty good workout.  Home for a quick breakfast, then off to Moonlight beach to meet the boogie boarders.  We meet there on Wednesdays at 10:30, and with 72 degree water temperature and sunny skies, we were expecting a big crowd.  I invited two new friends to join us, Joy and Charlie.  We met there a bit early, as I had to leave early.  We were in the water  for about an hour.  I couldn't stop smiling.  I was so happy to be back in the water after shingles and skin cancer surgery kept me out for about 6 weeks, and I couldn't have picked a more perfect day.  There were about a dozen of us, riding wave after wave, having a ball.  But I had to end early and get ready for my next wonderful experience on this perfect day.

Brian and Beth were coming to Coronado for a few days with the twins, Spencer and Ryan.  We were meeting them for lunch at St. Tropez on their way down.  We hadn't seen them in about 6 weeks, and they have grown and changed in just that short time.  They're talking and getting into all kinds of mischief.  So much fun.

After lunch, Ron and I ran a few errands together, and just spent some time talking and enjoying the weather.  Home for a quick rest (very quick), then off to my monthly poker game.

Leave it to Fran to come up with something new and original.  It was Julia Child's 100th birthday on Wednesday, so she decided to do a Julia Child dinner before poker.  Everyone brought items from Julia's cookbook, lots of wine and champagne, and we had quite a party.  The fact that the party was held in the rec room of her condo, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean, was an added bonus.  We ate and drank and watched the sun go down.  Poker was secondary on this perfect day. 

Home at 9:30, a nice conversation with David and Tracy, who are planning a May wedding, and my day was complete.  All I can say is, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  We talked about this last night.  You can go to the dessert, mountains, surfing, museums or sporting events, all in the same day.  This truly is paradise...

No comments:

Post a Comment