Monday, August 13, 2012

Green Drinks To Start Your Day

Several years ago, while shopping at the Encinitas Farmers' Market, I discovered a green drink.  The color was not terribly appealing, but the taste was delicious, and the ingredients were all fresh from the garden fruits and veggies.  It was from an organic farm in Valley Center, but at $9 per bottle, pretty expensive.  Not too much later I noticed that all the markets were carrying a similar green, made by companies like Naked Juice and Evolution.  They too were expensive, but it's so easy to make yourself, especially if you have a juicer.  I don't have a juicer, but I throw all the ingredients in the blender and wham, in 30 seconds I have a delicious drink.  I make enough for several days.  It can also be frozen, which I have done with the double bottles that you have to buy at Costco.  For those I have frozen in plastic containers, 1/2 bottle in each container, and I keep one out for current use.

Below are a few of my favorite morning drinks.  I will often drink a half cup early in the morning before going to the gym, then have breakfast after my workout.  The first recipe is one of Dr. Oz's  favorites, the other is a favorite of mine.

                                             Green Drink

Ingredients2 cups spinach
2 cups cucumber (I peel them, but keep the seeds...could also use Persian cucumbers)
1 head of celery
1/2 inch or teaspoon ginger root (try to use fresh...you can keep it frozen in freezer)
1 bunch parsley
2 apples
Juice of 1 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a blender. This makes approximately 28-30 ounces, or 3-4 servings.

                                                Green Drink #2

  • 1 cup of frozen cranberries
  • 1 orange (peeled)
  • 1 pear
  • 1 lemon (juice)
  • 2 leaves of collard greens
  • 1 bunch of mixed baby greens
  • 3-4 mint leaves
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup of coconut water
  • 1 cup of ice
Blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment