Friday, June 12, 2020

Brussels Bistro San Clemente

I love French food, so for our February lunch bunch, also my birthday celebration, our group went to San Clemente  for lunch at Brussels Bistro.  They also have a Laguna location, but we opted for San Clemente, so much closer.  We were not disappointed.

It's a small restaurant, right across the street from one of my favorite restaurants, Nicks.  There are lots of seats at the bar area, numerous high top tables, and some regular tables inside and more on the patio.  We were there for lunch on a Tuesday, so it was not very crowded.  I had looked at the menu ahead of time, and knew exactly what I was getting.  I ordered the lunch special, moules et frites (mussels and fries) a very Belgian and French meal.  I was offered a variety of broths with my fries.  I got the creamy garlic, which was delicious.  Fries were served in a cone shaped paper, with a side of catsup and home made mayonnaise.  For $15 you can't beat it, and the nice glass of wine went beautifully with the mussels.

Others at our table ordered the beef bourginone, served with noodles.  They raved.  Salads and sandwiches were also ordered, and everything was delicious. One of my favorite items which was ordered by several of us was mushroom soup topped with puffed pastry.  I always said Crystal Cruises had the best mushroom soup ever, but this was equally good.  Cream of asparagus was also served at our table, and it was a winner too. The menu also consists of typical Belgian items like escargots and beef tartare.

We finished off the meal with a birthday order of chocolate mousse.  It was fantastic, with a huge dollop of whipped cream on top.  The best part was that instead of a candle, they had a huge sparkler that burned for about a minute.  I loved it.  Everyone else did too, so much so that we had the waiter give us the name of the company that sold the sparklers so we could go home and order some.  It was so much better than a candle.

Prices at Brussels Bistro are moderate for lunch a dinner.  Of course it's a great place to dine, as you can combine a little shopping and make it a great outing.  I want to go back soon for dinner.  Thanks to our lunch bunch for making it such a special birthday lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment