Monday, June 22, 2020

To Watch or Listen

Over the past decade, content on TV has increased dramatically.  Netflix, Vudo, Hulu, Sling, Prime Video, Showtime, and HBO are just some of the outlets for new movies, documentaries, and series.  You could watch interesting programs all day, but if you're like me, a little goes a long way.

Listening to interesting programming has also become voluminous, mostly in the form of podcasts, that haven't gotten nearly as much attention.  As popular as listening to the radio was back in the 1930's and 1940's, it took a back seat to TV when it came on the scene. 

I have recently rediscovered the joy or listening rather than watching.  I've listened to music on Pandora for several years, but it wasn't until I added Spotify to my phone, that I really started to listen.  First, if you're a music lover, you can make your own playlists in a matter of minutes.  You can drive from here to Los Angeles and back without ever turning on your car radio.  Spotify will play your playlist for you.  I love it. 

The best feature, however, is the number of enlightening Podcasts that availble, most of them free.  You pick the subject, there's a podcast for that.  If you have particular journalists or writers that you love, they just might have a podcast.  Some of my favorites are Revisionist History, by Malcolm Gladwell.  If you've read any of his books, you know what an interesting mind he has, and his topics are varied and fascinating.  I also enjoy Epidemic, a new podcast by Ron Klain and Dr. Celine Gouder, which gives lots of information not discussed in local news.  I love The New Abnormal by Rick Wilson, former Republican strategist.  The Daily, which is articles from The New York Times Sunday Magazine is also interesting.  The Weeds, by Ezra Klein, another brilliant thinker, is also great.  There are podcasts on sports, recreation, exercise, nutrition and any topic under the planet you can think of.  I was just browsing the other day and discovered that they have a storytime podcast for children.  10-15 minute short stories read to children.  My grandson Calvin loves it!

I use the free version of Spotify which after your one month's free trial will contain ads.  There is a premium version you can subscribe to that does not have advertising, if you want that.  Just thought I'd send you this information, as I have enjoyed it so much.  It is so relaxing to just sit or lay in bed, listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment