Friday, September 4, 2009

Great Dessert, Summer or Winter


I am NOT a chocolate person. I know that must come as a surprise to those of you who know how much I enjoy food. My favorite desserts are fruit tarts, cobblers, custards or flan. So I bring you a fruit cobbler, great in summer or winter, just change the fruit. My favorite summer fruits for cobbler are plums, peaches (yellow peaches only). In the winter I would use apples.

This particular cobbler comes from a cooking class I took at Westchester High School in Los Angeles about 30 years ago. My mom's friend Fran taught the class, and each week we made a different theme dinner. This was from aFrench dinner, and I have changed the recipe somewhat. I hope you like it.

Plum Cobbler

3 pounds Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2T. lemon juice
4T. creme de cassis liqueur

In a large bowl, combine above ingredients and pour into a 12 X 8 inch shallow baking dish

Topping

1 1/2 flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or electric mixer. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Spread mixture evenly over the top of the plum mixture. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 375 degrees, until the plums are bubbling and top is brown. Can be served cool or warm, with or without ice cream or whipped cream.

This recipe is GREAT for overripe fruit. Often I overbuy fruit that's on sale, and this is a good way to use up the fruit without wasting it. Enjoy a fruit cobbler any time, regardless of the season.

1 comment:

  1. TWO sticks of butter??!!! OMG!

    Thanks for the tomatoes. Best to Barn.

    xoxo

    Jane

    ReplyDelete