Wednesday, September 11, 2013

More New Restaurants For You To Try

It seems like everyday I see or am told about another new restaurant. A while back I was driving a group of women to Oceanside and we started talking restaurants. There are so many new restaurants in Oceanside, and many of them are good. I had mentioned Privateer, a new pizzeria on Coast Highway which we tried in May and loved. It's pub like in that it has a big bar center stage, then lots of tables for eating and drinking. The bar has many local brews on tap, and the pizza is delicious, nice and thin. Privateer also has lots of wonderful side dishes, like brussesl sprouts, asparagus, and interesting salads. Mary (a passenger in my car) mentioned Pizzeria Venti, which I have not tried, but will try to get to soon. Petite Madeline, which is not new, is worth a try at breakfast or lunch if you're in the area of Mission and Coast Highway. It's a French Bakery and restaurant. Lots of delicious looking cakes and pastries, but just a good place to try for morning coffee and a croissant, or a light lunch. In Leucadia we have a new winery and tapas bar. It's called Solterra, and it's on Coast Highway, just a block north of Leucadia Blvd. The business consists of two separate buildings, one to house the huge casks of wine (you can smell it as you approach), the other is the dining area and bar. Again, I have not yet eaten there, but was in to check it out around 5pm one afternoon and am excited to try it. They have many, many wines by the glass, half bottle and bottle. They have many tapas items (small plates), both hot and cold, like olives, marconna almonds, charcuterie plates, clams, some small salads and lamb chops. The hostess told me that some main courses will be added to the menu soon. I can see going there with a group of 4, ordering between 8-12 small plates and some wine, and having a wonderful dinner. Prices of tapas items range from $4-15. My friend Judith, from the Y (I told you I get all my best information at the Y) said she was there after it first opened and it was so busy that they couldn't get in. Go early on a weekday night and let me know. Also from Judith, I learned that a new sausage and beer place has opened on Coast Highway, just about a block away from Solterra, called Regal Seagull. Sausage lovers, you must try this. They serve about seven types of sausages with lots of different toppings. They also serve more traditional bar food like pretzels with dipping sauce and wings. The long bar takes up most of the restaurant, but there are about a dozen tables along the front windows. They serve many local beers on tap, which is definitely the new trend in San Diego. This is the third restaurant/bar to open recently in North County where beer is the main event. For those of you who didn't know, craft brewed beer from San Diego is very highly rated. In fact, we are known as the largest producers of local beer in the country! We also have a growing wine region in Temecula, with over 30 wineries to date. So it makes sense that restaurants are opening and taking advantage of our local products. Great restaurants abound in the Napa/Sonoma region, so why not here in San Diego? Also, all over Europe and England, pubs and bars have combined great beer with great food. Now we're trying to do the same. I hope you like some of these new finds. (unfortunately I am not a beer drinker so I can't comment on the quality of the beer, but I do love my wine, and I've had some good local ones).

No comments:

Post a Comment