Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pound Away

Every now and then I get tired of my regular workout routine and look for something new to get me reinvigorated. I've been feeling lately that I need something new. I know when I'm watching the clock during a 50 minute workout that I'm bored. That's been happening a lot lately, even in my spin class which I dearly love. A few months ago I discovered Flywheel (a new spin on spin), but they're not in San Diego yet. Now I've discovered Pound, another new exercise routine, not in San Diego yet, but I think it will be soon. Right now they're in LA, Orange County, San Francisco, Miami and New York. Here's what it is. Pound is a 30, 45, or 60 minute workout (they have classes of various lengths), that uses 1/4 pound drum sticks (Ripstix) as the centerfold of the class. If you've ever had a desire to be a drummer, or if you're one of those drivers who drums to the music on your steering wheel, this class might be for you. It's intense. I watched a video, and it's 30 minutes of aerobic, pilates and strength moves, with loud music, that you drum to. Your sticks are in constant motion, and although 1/4 pound drum sticks doesn't sound like much, add your aerobic and isometric moves and you've got one tough workout. You'll realize that the next day. Personally, I have never desired to be a drummer, but after watching a video of a Pound class, I can't wait to try it. I was so excited when the Barre classes began at my local Y last year, and although I do enjoy them and they are a diversion from standard aerobics classes, I don't love them. Each class is different, each teacher does different things, which at least makes it interesting. I'm looking forward to Pound, and hope they will be at my local Y sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment