Friday, November 29, 2013

Margheritta Spaghetti Squash

I'm back on Weight Watchers for probably the 20th time in my life. That's about every other year since I was thirty, I've tried Weight Watchers and failed. Is this the time that clicks for me? I just finished my second week, with disappointing results. I have only lost a total of 3.1 pounds in two weeks, which, when I write it down, doesn't really sound so bad, but the disappointing thing is that I used to drop at least three pounds the first week, then a steady two pounds the first month after that. I guess what people have been telling me forever has finally come true. It IS more difficult to lose as you age. I love the new program, as fruits and veggies are FREE. Yes, I can eat as much fruit as I want! I just bought some Japanese persimmons, which I love, and fresh pineapple, so sweet and satisfying, so I am a happy camper. I have gotten away from eating a lot of meat. I've never been much of a meat eater, so I'm just as happy going vegetarian a few days a week. I bought a spaghetti squash last week and made this delicious recipe for myself (no, Ron doesn't eat this). I used only 1/2 of the squash and got three meals from it. Cheap and so easy to make, and yes, delicious too. They serve this at True Food, a restaurant in Mission Valley that I love. I've reviewed it in the past. It's a chain. I've been to the one in Santa Monica, Newport Beach and Mission Valley. The food is organic and fresh, with some unusual options to choose from. If you're watching your weight or just looking for a vegetarian option for dinner on vegetarian Mondays, try this Margheritta Spaghetti Squash Casserole. I think you'll like it..

Margheritta Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Ingredients: 1 large spaghetti squash 2 tbsp. olive oil... 1 large Roma tomato, finely chopped 2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese 1 tsp. each salt & pepper 1 tsp. garlic powder( if you love garlic, add some minced garlic to the squash)

Steps: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a large knife or a cleaver, slice the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise down the middle. (if you can get the produce man at the supermarket to halve it, do so. This is a difficult squash to cut, and also dangerous) Use a spoon to remove the seeds and center strings. Drizzle the two halves with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place the squash, open side down on a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, check to see if the squash is soft and easily comes up with a fork into a spaghetti like texture. If it’s too hard to remove, cook for another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, scrape and fluff the stringy squash with a fork. Leave the squash in the skin. Turn the oven up to broil. Add the tomatoes and fresh basil into the squash, stir and top with the mozzarella cheese. Place in the broiler for 3-4 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving the squash. Another way to prepare this dish is to take the stringy squash out and put in a bowl, add all other ingredients except cheese, and mix well. Then, turn the squash mixture into a casserole. Put mozzarella cheese slices on top, and bake for 30 minutes, or until casserole is bubbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment