Friday, October 14, 2016

Have You Tried A Pitaya Bowl?

I've been eating acai bowls for several years now.  The acai is a South American fruit that is high in vitamins and minerals.  It's on lots of menus these days, and is absolutely delicious.  I was at the Lotus Cafe with friends one day, when I noticed that their menu offered a pitaya bowl.  I asked what it was, and found out it was another South American fruit, one with a more tart taste than acai.

Pitaya is also known as dragon fruit.  It's either pink or white on the inside, with tiny, edible black seeds.  It was originally grown in Central and South America, but it is now grown all over the world.  It has the consistency of kiwi.  It is high in magnesium, iron, fiber, vitamin B2, vitamin C, and anti oxidents.  I tried the pitaya bowl, and loved it.  The pitaya is blended with ice and almond milk, to the consistency of sherbet.  It is placed in a bowl, and topped with granola, coconut, and a fruit.  Mine was topped with bananas, strawberries, and blueberries.  It looked like an American flag.  Gorgeous to look at and so delicious.  I couldn't believe I at the whole thing.  Acai (sweet) and pitaya (more tart) are both healthy and delicious.  Next time you're out for breakfast or lunch and want something different, give either one a try.  You'll be happy you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment