Wednesday, January 24, 2018

More Restaurant Openings

Who knew a city like San Diego could have so many restaurants?  Every month I find more and more openings, and not so many closings.  I have a few more to tell you about that you may want to try,

The Goods is a bakery in Carlbad Village.  It's known for its donuts, so I have to try it.  I have heard good things about it.  Will The Goods replace VG's as my go to donut shop?  We'll see.

Viewpoint Brewery.  I went by Viewpoint today but couldn't get in.  They don't open until noon.  It's in a big warehouse off of Jimmy Durante in Del Mar.  (near the bird sanctuary).  I hear it is mobbed at dinner, and is listed as one of the 10 hottest restaurants in San Diego.  They have lots of beer choices, and a nice menu.  Burgers, salads, wings, mac n cheese, and beef tartare.  Beef tartare is one of my favorites and it's not on many menus.  Since I originally wrote this blog I have been to Viewpoint for lunch.  It has a limited menu, but the food was good.  Beef tartare is only served at dinner, so I was disappointed.

Republic Brewery is opening soon in Carlsbad is the spot formerly occupied by Claim Jumper.  (Palomar Airport Rd and 5 freeway).  It should be a big hit.I have been there too, but didn't stay long.  I think you need to be 35 or under to enter the place.  So many young people, lots of them just standing around with friends, drinking beer and eating appetizers.  Not for me.

Pisco is the latest restaurant from restauranteur Sami Ladeki.  His chain of Sammy's Wood Fired Pizza have been around for years, so I guess he wanted to try something new.  This restaurant is in Liberty Station, a hot destination for dining, and is Peruvian.  Dishes like lomo saltado and plancha marina are on the menu, in addition to cerviche.  I have not been there, but my friend and fellow foodie Marilyn, loved it.   I'll wait till the crowds die down before I try it.  Since I originally wrote this blog, the Sammy's in Carlsbad has closed, and is now reopened as the second Pisco Rotisserie and Cervicheria.  The pictures look great, I will try it soon.

Crudo is in the new shopping center called Village at Pacific Highlands.  I went to Wokou a few weeks ago and loved it, and Crudo is another one of the very trendy restaurants in this center.  Crudo is light and welcoming, with an open kitchen.  The chef is Pascal Lorange is from Fig and Olive, and diners have high expectations for the restaurant.  It's a moderately priced restaurant, with lots of choices.  For example, they have a menu section called "crudotini," where you pick out three little tastes for an appetizer for just $9.  They also have lots of tapas choices, so you may order a nice meal, with lots of tastes, without ever ordering an entree.  In addition to an interesting menu, Crudo will offer cooking classes twice a month.  Sounds like a great idea.

Mendocino Farms is opening another location in Del Mar.  It's a great place for a casual, healthy lunch.

Grater Grilled Cheese has opened in Del Mar as well.  There are several other locations for this restaurant.  The restaurant began as a food truck.  They were so successful they decided to open brick and mortar locations, and they now have three.  Look for more to come.

I hope I have given you some food for thought, new places to go on your next night out.  I will keep you posted on new openings as much as possible.  Until next time, bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment