Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The Need For The Human Touch

 During the pandemic, most of us were quite isolated, especially those of us living alone.  If you live with a family, you still got hugs and kisses, but that didn't exist for those of us living alone.  I'm a hugger, so that was something I greatly missed.

I was walking to pickleball one afternoon, when a car pulled up to drop off an elderly man.  The man got out of the car using a cane, and he seemed to be having trouble with his balance.  I looked at him, could see that he was having trouble, and asked him if he needed help getting into the clubhouse, which was just about 20 feet away.  He smiled and said, "No, I think I can make it.  I just wanted to hold your hand for a few minutes."  That was so touching!  I took his arm, and helped him walk into the clubhouse.  

He was so happy.  I could see a big smile on his face.  I, too, was happy.  To do something so simple that means so much to someone makes my day.  In Hebrew we call it a Mitzvah.  

No comments:

Post a Comment