Wednesday, November 10, 2021

A Meal To Remember: Le Petit Chez Mimi



 While recovering from rotator cuff surgery in August, I spent about 10 days in LA with my mom and dog Pepper.  We made a list of restaurants we wanted to try when I arrived, and I think we made it to all of them.  My favorite, by far, was Le Petit Chez Mimi in Santa Monica.

Our meal at Chez Mimi was memorable.  When I heard Mimi had opened another restaurant in LA, I jumped at the chance to enjoy her food again.  Mimi Hebert is the owner and chef at Chez Mimi, and has been involved in the LA food scene for years.  Many years ago Mimi worked at and helped create recipes at Chez Helene, a wonderful French restaurant that was on Abbott Kinney years ago.  Chez Helene eventually closed, and Mimi went on to open several other restaurants in LA.  Ron and I were frequent diners at her 26th street restaurant in Brentwood in the 1990's.

Mimi opened Le Petit Chez Mimi in the middle of the pandemic, and it is a miracle it is still open.  It was only take out for quite a while, but they made it through the rough times, and from what I can see, have a great following.  We sat outside on the heated patio, as did most diners.  

The food is so outstanding, that even though I was stuffed when I left, I couldn't help but think about what I would get next time I dined there.  It's typical French food.  Appetizers include chicken liver pate, escargots, onion tart and salmon mousse.  The salmon mousse was extraordinary.  Every night there are about 5 soups to choose from.  I had cold cucumber soup with lots of dill.  Yum.  Entrees are mustard chicken, grilled lamb chops (fantastic sauce), mussels, calves liver, pepper steak and bouillabaisse.  We had the tart tatin for dessert, with a big dollop of whipped cream on the side.

So, if you're visiting LA or in the Santa Monica area, make it a point to go to Chez Mimi for dinner.  (reservations necessary).  It will be a meal you will not soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment