Friday, May 13, 2022

Don't Fall, Especially If You're A Woman

 While recovering from a broken wrist in February and March (and April and May), one thing stood out.  Most of the people that I saw or heard about who had broken their wrist were women.  Once women reach middle age they are increasingly more likely to break their wrists than men.  The rate of fractures climbs dramatically as women age.  Until age 40, wrist breakage is similar for men and women, at about 75 per 10,000.  Over 40, men's rates of wrist breakage stay just about the same, all the way into the late 80's.  By contrast.  At 59, women break their wrist about 110 per 10,000.  at age 69, women break their wrist 290 times per 10,000, and at79 women break their wrist at a rate of 520 per 10,000.  Wow!  

The even worse news (for me anyway) is that following wrist fracture, the risk of a hip fracture increases by 14 times in females.  Also, females over the age of 65 years have a substantially elevated risk of depression following fractures.  Elderly females with wrist fractures also report reduced quality of life due to fear of falling.  Elderly females with wrist fracture are 50% more likely to experience functional decline in important daily tasks.  This is bad news for women.  

I find the recovery from my wrist fracture very slow, much slower than what I was told by the doctor.  I do feel I will be back to golf at a similar level to pre wrist break, but I am concerned about pickleball.  Yes, I have concerns about falling, and will not return to I feel comfortable.  My philosophy of life is that this is all there is, and to deny doing something I love because of a fear of falling is not me.  I could fall today stepping off the curb, or tripping over a sprinkler.  I will not give up doing the things I love because of fear, assuming I am healthy.  

The question I have is this.  Why do women have a greater chance of breaking bones?  I guess that's a question for another blog.  

No comments:

Post a Comment