Monday, August 24, 2009

Fond Memories of 2000 in Japan

This week we're going to see our old friends, Jose and Renee Valdivia and their kids. When I think about Jose and Renee, I can't help but reminise about our memorable trip to Japan in 2000. We were in the horseracing business then, and we were lucky enough to have our horse, Lord Sterling, invited to Japan for the first Japan Cup Dirt Race. It was an honor and a great opportunity for a cheap claimer to prove himself against the bluebloods. Our favorite jockey was Jose Valdivia, and he agreed to come to Japan to ride the horse. He brought his wife Renee with him, so it was a wonderful time for all. In fact, we had our entire family with us. All three sons, and my mother and father.



Of course, the race was the highlight of the trip. The Jockey Club in Tokyo entertained us royally, with parties, dinners, sightseeing, gifts and wonderful accomodations. But the day of the race was like nothing I have experienced anywhere. There were 120,000 people in attendance that day, which is not unusual. As the horses paraded onto the track, the fans all started waving white hankerchiefs. It was a dramatic sight, but I was afraid it might spook Lord Sterling. Instead, he ran his little heart out. He had the lead at the head of the stretch, and finished third. We were so proud of his performance. He competed against horses from all over the world and showed he belonged there.



One morning during our stay in Tokyo, Jose, Renee, Ron and I decided to go to the local health spa for a workout. I have such fond memories of that morning. It was a cultural experience. Here's how it went. We arrived, and were immediately given white shirts, blue shorts and white socks and tennis shoes. Everyone in the gym must have on the proper uniform. We entered the gym and found it filled with locals, old, young and thin. No one was fat. There were men in their 80's doing push ups, lifting weights, and doing yoga. I never saw such flexibility from a group of average people at a gym.



After working out, we went separately to the men and women's locker area. We got such a laugh out of these very little women, most under five feet tall, sitting naked on buckets fixing their hair. I was expecting the women to be very modest, but this was not the case. Everyone was running around nude. Another stereotype changed forever. That was our morning at the gym, and hardly a time goes by when we're all together that we don't mention that event.



The trip to Japan with most of my favorite people in the world will remain with me forever. I remember my father saying that after the birth of his children and his marriage to my mother, this was the greatest event in his life. I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment