Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Have you checked out Groupon?

I recently discovered a fantastic way to save money on food, dining out, entertainment, travel and services. I joined Groupon.com (http://www.groupon.com/). Groupon is an organization that provides subscribers with daily deals, usually 50% off, on everything from fine restaurants, to spas, to green fees, to hotels. You name it, they have it. To subscribe, simply go to their web site and fill out the brief form. It is free, and will save you lots of money. It provides collective buying power. Groupon guarantees the restaurant a minimum number of sales. Thus, we, the consumer, get a reduced rate.

Groupon started in 2008 in Chicago, and is now in numerous cities throughout the country. I just got my first deal this morning in my e-mail. It was an offer to buy a coupon at Sea Rocket Bistro in San Diego for $35, with a retail value of $70. I had not heard of this restaurant, so I checked it ou and can't wait to try it. It's in North Park, so I'll have to get Mapquest out to find it. It features locally grown meat, fish from local fisheries and fruit and produce from environmentally sustainable producers. My favorite part of their website was the "food map". It shows you where all the ingredients on the menu come from. Everything is local . I found the map very unique and interesting. Groupon is very new to California, so I can't give you a lot of local examples of what you might save, but I noticed in Chicago they offered 50%off membership at the Art Institute.

So check out this new savings opportunity. I can't wait to try Sea Rocket, and it's just my first day of receiving their special offers. The question is, will I be saving money or spending money? I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment