Monday, August 31, 2009

Play the Game, A New Film for Young and Old



I try to blog about things I have experienced first hand, but that's not always possible. My friend Paula is a huge movie fan. I respect her opinion, and if she says it's a good movie, I listen. She recently told me about the yet to be released independent film by writer/director Marc Fienberg, Play the Game. I have not seen it yet, but upon her recommendation, will tell you something about it, so when it opens soon at the Landmark Theatres, you'll make time to see it.

This original comedy is filled with surprising and clever twists. It's about a young ladies' man, David, who teaches his dating techniques to his 84 year old widowed grandfather, Joe, all the while playing his best mind games to meet Julie, the woman of his dreams. Slowly the teacher becomes the student, and it's up to Grandpa to teach David the best way to win the game is not to play games at all.

Play the Game finally confirms what many of us have known all along, but never wanted to confront. Old people still "do it". And they enjoy it. Audiences love following the journey of 84 year old Joe as he looks for love with the same fear, insecurity and excitement as any schoolboy. It adroitly balances gently comedy with refreshing frankness, a la movies like Cocoon, Harold and Maude, and Harry and Tonto.

The cast consists of beloved television stars Andy Griffith, Doris Roberts and Liz Sheridan, in addition to Paul Campbell and Marla Sokoloff. I can't wait to see it.

This movie was inspired by a true story. Years after the death of his wife, writer/director Marc Fienberg's real-life Granpa Joe confided a secret he just couldn't hold back. "I kissed a girl last week," he said. Marc found the act of a grandfather soliciting his grandson for advice on how to approach a woman, what to say, and when to call her, surprisingly touching. He included it as a second major storyline, using the real life discussions with his own grandfather as a foundation for David and Grandpa's bonding over dating mysteries and rituals as men have had for time immemorial.

I can't wait until it opens. I hope I have sparked your interest in this new movie which should appeal to old and young alike, and thank you Paula, for your recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment