Tuesday, August 25, 2009

One of My Faves: The Cheesecake Factory

For 10 years before I moved here, I was a weekly visitor to The Cheesecake Factory (http://www.thecheesecakefactory.com/). It's hard to have a bad meal there. It's almost harder to decide what to eat. When we lived in Los Angeles, our local Cheesecake Factory was a quick 15 minute walk. We woud often walk there for dinner, eat way too much, and walk home. I would also meet my son David there for lunch on occasion, as he worked nearby. I certainly have my favorites, but I try to give new items a try, and that is what I recently did.

Unfortunately for us, we have no Cheesecake Factory nearby, the closest location being Mission Valley in San Diego. I played in a bridge tournament at the Town and Country Hotel not long ago, and went to the Cheesecake Factory three times that week for dinner, between bridge sessions. Things have changed, and as if the menu didn't have enough items, they have enhanced it even further.

The biggest change is an extensive selection of Small Plates and Snacks. When I was there these were only served until 6pm, sort of a happy hour selection of appetizers. I tried a number of their offerings, including beets with goat cheese, stuffed mushrooms, fried zucchini, cheddar cheese dip with chips, wild mushroom crostini and crispy artichoke hearts. Each dish was between $5-$7. I especially enjoyed the beet salad, mushroom crostini, and stuffed mushrooms.

Their regular menu has also changed, but most of my favorite items remain. I love their Chinese chicken salad. It is huge, and be sure and get the luncheon size if available. It is piled hight with lettuce, cabbage, chicken, and puffed rice noodles. It is served with a basket of warm bread, both brown and white, as are all their entrees. Other great salads include the barbeque ranch chicken salad, santa fe salad, and cobb salad.

One of my favorite non salad entrees is chicken cashew. This is a combination of chicken and vegetables in a slightly spicy Asian sauce, served over rice. Delicious.

Of course the portions are so large one rarely has room for dessert, but on the off chance that you want to split something with your group, try the white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, or the apple turnover. Both are served with whipped cream on top and both are to die for.

So next time you go shopping in Mission Valley, stay a little longer and enjoy an early dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. You'll have a delicious meal and avoid the traffic coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment