Wednesday, August 18, 2010

3rd Corner's New Menu

A little over a year ago, a wonderful restaurant opened in the Lumberyard in Encinitas, 3rd Corner. Half wine store, half restaurant, it was the perfect place to go for a nice glass (or bottle) of wine and a light dinner. I had not been there in quite a while and was delighted with the meal I recently enjoyed with friends Laurie and Geroge. Many of my favorites are still on the menu, but they've added many entrees and have a wonderful Sunday Night Fixe Prix Menu.

I'll concentrate on dinner, as that's the only meal I've eaten at 3rd Corner. To start, they have wonderful appetizers and salads. Artisan cheese plate (five assorted cheeses), baked humboldt fog goat cheese with wild mushrooms and toasted brioche, and heirloom tomato tart are a few of the appetizers I have tried, all just delicious. Select a glass of your favorite wine at a very reasonable price to make everything taste better. Salads include a wonderful caesar salad with fresh anchovies, smoked duck breast salad and goat cheese salad. All salads are generous and could be split.

Small plates for dinner include charcuterie plate, pate sampler, smoke salmon plate, grilled shrimp skewers and several sandwiches. I love the smoked salmon plate. 3rd Corner has added some more hearty entrees to the menu including beef short ribs, grilled pork chop, new york steak and 1/2 roasted chicken with veggies, roasted potatoes and lemon chicken jus. I ordered the latter last time and loved it. It was perfectly roasted chicken, moist and tender, with wonderful veggies and potatoes. I had plenty left for another meal the following day.

Sunday night 3rd Corner offers a Sunday Brunch, which I have NOT tried but sounds delicious and a Prix Fixe meal in the evening. For $25 you can get a three course menu with several choices and wine pairings with each course. It's too much for me, but a bargain for big eaters.

3rd Corner is in the space formerly occupied by Meritage (Sbicca owners). Encinitas is the second of three locations. They're also in San Diego and the Palm Dessert area. One of the best things about the restaurant is that they're open until 1am. I can't think of anywhere else in North County where you can get a late night meal. The restaurant is full of energy, a sophisticated clientelle, friendly and knowledgable servers and very good food. I look forward to dining there again soon and trying something new.

Finally, for those in North County, look for Phils Barbeque to open this fall in San Marcos. Yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment