Thursday, August 5, 2010

Be A S.L.O.B.

I recently heard about a movement that promotes exactly what I believe in. If I owned a business in San Diego, I would become a S.L.O.B. Since I don't own a business, I will do my best to support S.L.O.B. businesses.

What am I talking about? The acronym SLOB stands for Support Locally Owned Businesses. I believe that small, local business is what America is all about. I believe it is the entrepreneureal spirit that has made our country what it is. So here's a little more information on the SLOB movement.

SLOB is the brainchild of Joe Grant, owner of Grant's Marketplace in the South Park neighborhood of San Diego. He's a longtime advocate for preserving neighborhoods and the unique quality that locally owned, personality-driven businesses bring to communities. Joe saw a need in the locally-owned business community for a place where like-minded entrepreneurs can both see and be seen, share ideas, and promote their businesses. His goal is to promote and support locally owned and operated businesses. I'm all for that.

The businesses that he has brought to the organization so far are all local and varied. Everything from Automotive shops to Restaurants, Markets and Beauty spas have become part of SLOB. Next time you go to local market or beauty spa, ask them if they're a member of SLOB. My guess is that they will NOT have heard of the organization, but the question and your answer might at least get them interested.

Some local establishments that you might want to try to frequent are The Big Kitchen, Hamilton's Tavern, The Station Tavern, Grant's Marketplace (founder Joe Grant's business) Halycon Tea, Olive Tree Marketplace and Sara Elizabeth Skin Care. They're all members of SLOB. Check their website for more information on the movement and more busiesses that belong. Go to www.imaslob.org.

If I were a businesswoman, I'd like being a SLOB, at least this kind of slob. One that promotes the feeling of community, helps improve the quality of services to the community, and one who gives every patron who comes to the business a personal experience. That's the way to do business. Burger King and Wal Mart need not apply to beome SLOBs.

No comments:

Post a Comment