Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Spiced Loquats

While walking through the Farmers Market a few weeks ago, I notice loquats were everywhere. I see loquat trees everywhere I go, and many of you probably have them in your back yard. Most of us do nothing with them. The birds and squirrels enjoy them instead. Well, one of the stands I stopped at had a recipe for Spiced Loquats. I think you would use this as spread for crackers or bread, or like chutney, on chicken or fish. I think it's a great way to use something that usually just rots on the ground. If you've got some in your backyard or have a neighbor with a tree, this recipe might be for you.

Spiced Loquats

3 pounds firm loquats, stems and blossom ends removed (do not peel skin)
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cider vinegar
1 T. whole cloves
1 T. whole allspice
2-inch stick of cinnamon

Combine sugar, water and cider vinegar in a large pot. Tie the spices loosely in cheesecloth and add. Boil 10 minutes. Put in fruit and cook gently until tender. Remove the fruit and place in the jar, pour remaining syrup into the sterilized jars. Fill almost to overflowing with hot syrup and seal at once. Makes three, 1-pint jars. Let me know if you find an interesting way to use spiced loquats.

2 comments: