Monday, November 6, 2017

Can't Sleep? Join The Crowd

I have no problem falling asleep.  I can usually fall asleep during the 10pm show that we're watching, wake up to watch some of the 11pm news, then fall right back to sleep.  The problem occurs when I wake up around 3pm (usually to use the bathroom), and can't go back to sleep, sometimes for hours.  It's called middle insomnia.  If this happens more than three times per week and you lie awake for more than 30 minutes, you've got middle insomnia too.

As we age, it is normal to awake at night.  Most seniors need to use the bathroom at least once in the middle of the night, but most of us get right back to sleep.  Not me.  I look at the clock.  It's 3:10.  I toss and turn a bit, trying to get comfortable.  I do all the recommended things.  I try to clear my mind.  I never get up and read, watch TV or turn on my phone.  The light from these electronics has been found to negatively impact one's ability to sleep.  I sometimes count backwards, count sheep, or simply try to clear my mind.  Nothing works.  I think a lot of time has elapsed, so I look at the clock, which creates more anxiety.  It's only 3:20, and I thought I'd been lying there for an hour!  Finally, I do fall back to sleep, for the next thing I know it's 6:30 and Pepper is nudging me.  How long I actually lie there awake is unknown.  I figure it's between 30-60 minutes.

A doctor friend of mind who is now into natural healing gave me some information to read.  The information he gave me, and I have read elsewhere, says that adrenal gland exhaustion is one of the leading culprits of a poor night's sleep.  Cortisol levels stay high.  If they're high in the middle of the night, you'll be too wide awake to sleep.  He also mentions that asparagus stems contain an enzyme named ETAS.  This enzyme may change the face of sleep management forever.   I won't get into it anymore than to say that natural healing methods should be approved by your doctor before trying.

So what should we seniors do to improve our chances of getting a good night's sleep?  Be  sure that a large dinner late at night is not causing acid reflux and waking you up.  That's a possibility.  Be sure to eat a healthy diet, get some exercise, and get out in the sunshine each day.  Make sure your bedroom is conducive to good sleep.  Not too hot, not too cold, dark and quiet.  Oh, and don't take a nap.  Experts say you want to be good and tired when you go to sleep.  The last resort for me would be a sleeping pill.  I don't think I'll ever get that desperate.  I've heard too many horror stories about what could happen on Ambien and other sleeping pills.  I may try a Tylenol PM one of these days.  Maybe that will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment