Monday, November 20, 2017

IFly Oceanside: Skydiving Without The Risk

For Fran's 71st birthday, nine of us went to IFly Oceanside for an indoor skydiving experience.  The sky diving is done in a 4 story tube like structure, with wind speed over 110mph.  We all had a great time, would do it again, and feel proud that we are able to check another item off our bucket list.

Prior to flying, we go to "flight school"  Dan, our instructor, taught us hand signs to communicate (since it's windy and noisy and you can't hear anything), correct body position, and how to get in and out of the flying position.  Then, we donned our flight suits, goggles, helmets and earplugs, and lined up to fly.  Our instructor was with us every inch of the way, letting go and letting us fly when he felt we were ready.  Many women from my group chose to circle up in the tube with instructor, but I decided not to.  Most of them came back dizzy, describing it as similar to a roller coaster.  I'm so glad I passed on that part of the experience.

Our instructor did a short demonstration of the various moves an experienced flyer can perform.  Many outdoor skydivers go to IFly to practice their moves, sommersaults, twists, and turns.  It's entertaining to watch, and I now have a great appreciation for the athletic ability of skydivers.  For me at 72, this was just enough.  I got to experience the sensation of flying without the risk.  I recommend it for those who want a good thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment