Friday, November 17, 2017

How Stress Affects Your Health

I've had more than the normal amount of stress in the past 18 years.  Legal problems for Ron created extreme, chronic stress for over 10 years.  When that subsided, Ron was diagnosed with ALS, a most stressful disease to deal with.  Now, Ron has been diagnosed with bladder cancer.  I was feeling extreme stress the day before his surgery, so much so that my stomach hurt, and my heart was beating a million miles a minute.  As soon as I talked to the doctor, my heart slowed down.  He reassured me that Ron was in good hands.  He was right, and surgery went well and I am relieved.  All of this got me thinking about stress, and how damaging it is to our health.

I have often thought that chronic stress is a killer, or at least leads to a less healthy life.  Studies show this to be true.  Short, minor stress, might give you a stomach-ache.  (nerves before giving a speech).  Acute stress may cause a bigger impact.  Sudden emotional stresses can trigger heart attacks, arrhythmias and even sudden death.  Chronic stress interferes with your ability to live a normal life.  You might feel fatigued, unable to concentrate or irritable for not good reason.  Chronic stress makes you more prone to frequent and sudden viral infections.  Your immune system, digestive, and sleep and reproductive systems may not work normally.

Much can be done to relieve stress.  Diet, exercise, yoga, talking about your problems with friends and family, are just some stress relievers.  Medication is a last resort.  Life is a roller coaster, filled with ups and downs, highs and lows.  Trying to keep emotions and stress on an even keel is a challenge for everyone.  I know I work hard to not let stress get the better of me.  For me, writing blogs like this and talking about my issues, helps.  It's different for everyone, but find what works for you and keep your stress to a minimum.  It will lead to a longer, healthier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment