Friday, February 24, 2012

Plastic Bags Are Going The Way Of The Do Do Bird

I was at Trader Joe's in Santa Monica a few weeks ago (not in my car which has lots of reusable bags in the trunk), and was told at check out that I would be charged five cents per bag. Since I didn't know about the new law that had gone into effect, I got a pass. Santa Monica is just one of many cities to impose this ordinance

. You need to bring your own reusable bag or you will be charged. This is no big deal to me, as I've been using my own bags for at least 3 years, but it will take some getting used to for many of us. It's just a habit. I always have several bags in my trunk, and one on the floor of the front seat. That way, picking up the bag, along with my purse is no big deal. I don't know about you, but when I first started carrying a cellular phone, I was constantly forgetting it, until I got into a routine. Now it's second nature. Reusable bags will become second nature to you too, after you figure out how NOT to forget them.

The drive to ban plastic bags from grocery stores has been underway for many years now. It's a city by city ban, which means progressive cities will probably ban them first. Some of the cities that have banned the plastic bag, or have laws that will soon go into effect, or are in the process of doing so, include Seattle, Long Beach, Santa Monica, San Jose, Austin,and Sunnyvale. There are many others where the ban is under consideration.

We all know the detrimental effects of the plastic bag. They get dumped in landfills and sit there for hundreds of years. I know many people fight the ban, like the plastic bags, use them for doggie poop bags or trash can liners, but they're going to have to change. Luckily, new products have come on the market that are biodegradable. They are much more expensive, which is why supermarkets are against them, but they are available to store vegetables and meat, and as doggie bags.

A whole new industry has developed due to the plastic bag ban. Biodegradable bags can be purchased almost anywhere today. I for one am in favor of the ban, as I already have stopped using them. Every little step we take to help the environment is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment