Monday, April 16, 2012

More Food Show Finds

I was expecting the food show to be filled with items containing kale. It seems to be the "in" food this year, but I was wrong. There were a few items, most notably a crunchy kale snack. I have tried to make something similar. It is great when first made, but does not stay crispy, so I'm guessing the packaged variety has preservatives. In addition to crispy kale, here are other foods I tried and liked.

One of the best products I tasted is Julian's Belgian waffles. They are to die for. They're very expensive, but nice to have in the freezer if you're in a bind. You can buy them at Whole Foods in the freezer section.

Sunland peanut butter was sampling their various spreads. Crunchy, banana peanut butter, and chocolate peanut butter are all delicious. Justins is another peanut butter company, and this year they have expanded into peanut butter cups, similar to Reese's. They're delicious and available at Whole Foods and Jimbo's. Karoun is a great company that makes interesting cheeses. This year I tried the lebne cheese. It is tart and similar to the consistency of cream cheese. It is delicious on pita bread. If you want to try it first, go to Sammy's and order it. I love it. Another company, Adonia, sells Greek frozen yogurt. The bars are only 75 calories. Another cheese product made by Heini's caught my attention. It is made in the Amish country (since 1935). They have several varieties of yogurt cheese which I tasted, and was pleasantly surprised. I was also told that they melt well. Look for them in specialty markets.

Finally, one of my favorite products that I discovered last year and rediscovered this year, is Ozery's Morning Rounds. They're similar to English muffins only thinner. They toast up great. They come in several varieties, including multi grain and cranberry nut. Great for something a little different than toast.

I have much more to tell you, especially about trends in frozen foods, but that will have to wait for another time. I hope you look for some of these items. They're well worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment