Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Napa Valley Grille For Lunch

On a recent Saturday Ron and I went to LA to visit my mom, and celebrate the 2nd birthday of our twin grandchildren, Spencer and Ryan.  The party was held at Playsource in Tarzana.  It's a big room with every imaginable type of toy and play equipment for kids ages 2-6.  Slides, bikes, dollhouses, puzzles, trampolines and much, much more.  The kids had a ball, the adults enjoyed watching and  picture taking, and noshing on bagels, fruit, pizza and  cake.  I refrained from doing so because my mom and I were planning on having lunch together after the party.  Ron was going to visit an old friend, and we would meet up at my mom's in the mid afternoon, pick up Pepper (who was visiting Captain, my mom's dog), chat with my mom for awhile, and then head home.

Mom wanted to take me to Napa Valley Grille in Westwood for lunch.  I had been there for dinner and happy hour in the past year, but never for lunch.  She knew I would like it.  They serve lots of little plates, like cheese, marinated veggies, grains, etc.  All the food I like.  Little did we realize that we were there on the day of the UCLA graduation.  The place was packed with graduates and their families, but luckily we were able to be seated immediately.  When the menu was delivered, my mom said it was a different menu than she had the last time she dined there.  However, it was a great menu, and there were numerous items on the menu that I liked.  I ended up with the Chicken kale salad, which was a mix of chicken, kale, quinoa, apricot, almonds, parmesean, raisins and lemon vinaigrette.  I absolutely loved it, and when I figure out the recipe, I will blog about it.  Fresh, healthy and so filling.  My mom ordered the ahi tuna salad.  It consisted of perfectly seared ahi, avocado egg, tomato, olives, butter lettuce, blue lake beans, in a citrus vinaigrette.  It was beautiful to look at and even better to eat. 

Other items on the regular menu include blue crab cakes, black figs and prosciutto with burata cheese, roasted veggie salad, several sandwiches, salads, burgers, and simply grilled fish and vegetables. 

Every table is served a delicious coffee crumb cake to start, as much as you want.  It's hard not to fill up on the cake.  It is warm and fragrant, and impossible to resist. 

The manager came by to ask us how everything is.  You know how they usually just rush by and ask how things are, not even waiting for the answer?  Well, this manager really wanted to know.  I told him that we had originally come to Napa Valley Grille for a particular menu, but arrived on graduation day and got another menu.  He said the reason for the change in menu was to make the meals easier to serve.  With lots of small plates, it would be difficult to accomodate a full house at lunch.  I suspected that was the case, and told the manager we were pleasantly surprised with the change in menu, but would be back again another time to try the regular menu.

Napa Valley Grille is a winner.  I have had lunch, dinner, and happy hour there, and have never had a bad meal.  The servers are excellent, very attentive and friendly.  The management too, makes you feel welcome.  On your next trip to Los Angeles, try Napa Valley Grille if you're in the Westwood area.

No comments:

Post a Comment