Friday, September 21, 2012

Wacky Ways To Help You Sleep

Lack of sleep is unhealthy.  It lowers you immune system, inhibits your ability to think clearly, and just generally makes you irritable.  It seems to me that young children and teens are the only ones that sleep soundly.  Part of sleeplessness has to do with what's on your mind, but sometimes it seems that no matter what you do, you just can't get to sleep, and there's no apparent reason why. 

During times when I have have many issues on my mind I have had difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep.  Now I have a free mind, yet I often still feel sleep deprived.  The aging body needs less sleep, but with tossing and turning all night, you  are not getting the deep REM sleep that really rests you.

I have no trouble falling asleep anymore.  I'm exhausted most nights and fall asleep within 5 minutes.  The problem comes around 3pm when I take a bathroom break.  I could lie there for hours afterward, never fully going back to sleep but just dozing. 

Linda in Bakersfield sent me an article on 2 wacky ways to relax and get to sleep.  Here they are.

1.  Wear thick socks.  This will increase the blood flow in your body and regulate temperature.  So simple.  Maybe it will work.

2.  Drink 1/2 glass of water before bed, then put a pinch of salt on your tongue.  This is supposed to put your body into sleep mode. 

These are both so simple, and worth a try, especially if you have difficulty falling asleep.  I'm not sure that they'll help me much, especially the salt on the tongue.  I will just be thirstier and wake up more to drink and pee.  Well, if you have a sleep problem, here are two suggestions that might help.  Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment