Monday, March 18, 2013

Cream of Asparagus Soup

I went to Costco today to pick up some blueberries, and I also bought a package of great looking asparagus. There are just two of us in the family, and everything at Costco is packaged for a family of eight, but I bought the asparagus anyway. For dinner I made roasted asparagus, drizzled some olive oil on them, added salt and pepper, then topped with Panko bread crumbs to which I had added olive oil. Excellent. Then, I decided to make a large pot of cream of asparagus soup. It is delicious, and I kept half out to eat tomorrow night and froze the rest. I think it will freeze ok, but I will let you know. (It froze very nicely). Here's my simple recipe for asparagus soup. Cream of Asparagus Soup 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed, then cut into 1 inch pieces. Cut off a few of the tips and set aside for decoration later. 5 cups chicken broth 2 tablespoons butter, + 2 more tablespoons for the very end 1 onion, diced 1/2 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream (I used Greek yogurt, as I had neither) salt and pepper to taste Melt 2T. butter in a large pot, add diced onion, cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add the asparagus (not the tips that you set aside), cook about 5 more minutes. Then, add the chicken stock and simmer the vegetables for about 20-30 minutes, until asparagus are soft. Let the soup cool Add 1/2 cup creme fraiche or heavy cream. Then, puree in the blender in batches. Add back to the pot, heat, and 2 more tablespoons of butter. Squeeze a little lemon juice on it just before serving. The asparagus tips should be cooked, then set aside for decoration, a few spears on top of each bowl of soup. I did not add the final 2 tablespoons of butter, and I used greek yogurt in place of the heavy cream or creme fraiche. It was delicious. It's healthy and low in fat, and can be served either hot or cold. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment