Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Happy 60th Anniversary, Peeps

I love marshmallow, so it should be no surprise to you that Peeps is one of my favorite candies. (the other favorite being scotch kisses from See's). My birthday is usually about a month before Easter, so those that know me well always include a package of Peeps as part of my birthday present. They don't last long once they get in my hands. I've tried to ration them, say one or two per day, but I just can't do it. Sometimes I'll put them in the freezer where they'll last a bit longer. Out of sight, out of mind. Just Born candy company was started by Russian immigrant Sam Born, out of a Brooklyn storefront, more than 90 years ago. The burgeoning business moved to Pennsylvania and acquired the Peeps brand in 1953 with it's purchase of Rodda Candy Co. (included in this purchase was Hot Tamales, my favorite candy to eat in the movies). Modernization occured, and a version of the extruding machine used to produce the chicks was invented by Bob Born, father of the CEO, and is still used today. Growth of the company was slow and steady, but several years ago a new management team was brought in, and the company spent heavily in marketing. The result is that their sales were off the charts in 2012. They did their first advertising in a decade, and posted double digit growth across all brands. Amazing. A company that hardly advertises their products can do such a business. Peeps are part of pop culture in a way unlike any other. You either love them or you hate them, but one thing is for sure, when you start to see them in the stores, you know Easter can't be far behind. A few years ago I was visiting friends in Arizona, we stopped in a market, and I saw sugar free Peeps. I had to try them. I'm sorry to say they were no good, I'd never buy them again. I've actually never seen them again. I know many Peeps lovers that stockpile Peeps for the rest of the year when they're not available. I don't do that. It's a treat to eat those sweet little chicks around Easter. It gives me something to look forward to when my birthday rolls around every year. So don't think they're just for kids. Adults like candy too, and Peeps are one of my favorites. Favorite color, the original yellow, of course.

1 comment:

  1. My developer is trying to persuade me to move to
    .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type
    on a variety of websites for about a year and am nervous about
    switching to another platform. I have heard excellent
    things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can
    import all my wordpress content into it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!


    My weblog - elektronisk cigaret

    ReplyDelete