Monday, July 29, 2013

Try A "Banana Split" For Breakfast

I have my favorite breakfast foods, and rarely deviate from them. A high fiber cereal from Trader Joe's, with either a few blueberries or 1/2 banana on top, or both. I like non fat milk, so this is a low calorie, high fiber breakfast. My other breakfast choice is non fat greek yogurt (usually Fage), topped with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand. I love it, and find it a satisfying way to start the day. But, everyone needs a change once in a while, and my breakfast banana split is just the thing. You can vary it with different fruits, different yogurts, and different toppings, just like a 1,000 calorie banana split. The difference is, this one has only about 250 calories, depending on what you add. Breakfast Banana Split 1 banana, halved 1/2 cup yogurt, your choice...I like plain or vanilla or pomegranete. I use the Greek yogurt, but any kind will do.' 1/2 cup favorite cold cereal. Granola works well, but to keep the calories down, try Grape Nuts or any cereal with a good crunch. Toppings: use trail mix, plain raisins, dried cranberries, fresh pomegranete seeds (available at Trader Joe's), or any fresh fruit, cut up. Assembly: In a bowl, place 2 banana halves at the bottom, on each side. Add yogurt, then top with cereal and any toppings. You've got a healthy breakfast that's ready in no time flat, and is a nice change from your standard fare. My favorite is vanilla yogurt, granola, topped with pomegranete seeds. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment