Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Getting Ready For Surgery 2

The date of my surgery, July 9, is fast approaching. This coming week I have a lot of pre-op things to take care of, some surgery related and some personal. First, I have my pre-op appointments with doctors, nurses and support staff, which is scheduled over a period of four hours. A meeting with the surgical nurse and assistant surgeon will be an opportunity for me to ask all my questions. I have a list, so I don't forget anything. Then I have blood work and an EKG, in addition to financial information arrangements. They won't do any surgery on you until they're sure they're getting paid.

Another morning will be spent going to the joint replacement class. Here an orthopedic nurse will explain the entire procedure to us, with another chance to ask questions. I'll probably find out more than I want to know.

Next, I've got to collect all the things I will need after surgery: walker, cane, toilet booster, shower chair and ice packs. Thanks to Charlene, I have most of the items I need. She's got an Abbey Rents store in her garage!

Finally, although I have nurse Ron to help with ice packs, walking and general care, I felt I needed more. I was lucky to find a woman who I feel will be perfect. She is personal trainer, lives in my neighborhood, and has a very flexible schedule. She will come for several hours each day to help with my exercises, straighten up the house and do laundry, and take Pepper for a walk. I'm excited to have her available, and it will give Ron a chance to get out of the house for a few hours. Oh, the planning that goes into surgery.

I'm excited and a bit anxious, which I think is normal. My concern is how long my recovery will take. I've never been one to spend days at home, so this will be new to me. I've got lots of books to read and I've got my IPad to play with. I can play bridge on that, which should help pass the time. I'll get back to you on my blog as soon after surgery as I feel like writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment