Monday, December 29, 2014

Languedoc Roussillon: One of the Prettiest Villages in France

I'm a great supporter of the public library, and all it has to offer.  Book clubs, lectures, movie series, and much more.  I recently attended a lecture by local author Susan Vreeland, where I learned about her most recent novel, Lisette's List.  She is a New York Times best selling author of numerous books, including The Girl in Blue Hyacenth and Clara and Mr. Tiffany.  Many of her books are related to art history, specifically the impressionist period, and many of her books take place in France.  If you like these two themes as I do, you will probably like her books.  I had not read anything of hers prior to hearing her speak, but have listening to her for an hour, I went into the library and checked out The Boating, based on the painting of that name, by Pierre August Renoir.  Her most recent book takes place in the village of Roussillon, located halfway between Avignon and Aix-en Provence.

Lisette's List is about three artists, takes place in the village of Roussillon, and critics are saying it is Vreeland's best work yet.  I have been to France many times, yet did not know anything about this small village.  It is considered one of the prettiest villages in France.  It is well known for its ochre mines, which are then turned into paint.  In fact, the entire village has a reddish/gold hue to it.  It is charming looking, and possibly a wonderful place to visit.  You can get the ambiance of the south of France without all the crowds.  However, it is not a high interest destination.  The ochre mines are interesting to visit, but other than that, there are no well known monuments, churches, or history.  It's just a beautiful little village, much like dozens of others in France.  I might have to visit this village on my next trip to the south of France, if only overnight.  It just looks like what most of imagine when we think of France.  Big cities are great for the sights, art and shopping, but the small villages give you a taste of what makes France one of the most popular destinations in the world.  I can see myself in a small square, sitting in a café having a latte.  Since that's not possible right now, I'm off to Starbucks in my local shopping center.

No comments:

Post a Comment