Friday, December 26, 2014

More Restaurant News in San Diego

It's hard to keep up with all the openings and closings of restaurants in San Diego, but I do my best.  I have some new places to tell you about, none of which I have actually tried, but I'll tell you what the buzz on the street is, and what kind of food they have.

Kettner Exchange calls itself a Progressive American Restaurant.  It reminds me of many other recently opened restaurant, with shared plates to start, small plates, and large plates.  The large plates include things like pork chops, short ribs, scallops, and chicken.  The small plates include interesting salads, and the shared plates include things like hummus, olives, cheese platter.  It's right near Little Italy, a happening place for food right now.  Another interesting new restaurant is called Underbelly in North Park.  I can't wait to try this place.  I guess you'd call it a ramen restaurant mainly, but it's got so much more to offer.  The ramen dishes come in beef, pork, chicken or vegetarian, and have lots of add ins.  They also serve octopus salad, trio tartare, tuna tataki, chopped seafood salad, and buns.  I think the buns are like bao's, but they're filled with a variety of interesting mixes like tempura eggplant and shitaki mushrooms and pork bell and pickled cucumber.  I hear lines are out the door for this place. Another new place is right in Balboa Park and it's called Panama 66.  It's right next to the art museum in a big space with a sculpture garden in back.  They have lots of craft beers, salads, hot and cold sandwiches, and a great (cheap) children's menu, like Nutella and banana sandwich for $5.  I'd like to order that!

A few other hot spots that you might like to check out include Crushed, Sab-E-Lee, Iron Pig Alehouse and Blue Smoke Sushi Lounge.  I'm sorry to say that none of these new restaurants are in North County.  Someday we'll get a better selection of top quality restaurants.  In the mean time, I don't mind driving 30-40 minutes for a great meal.  I've been doing that for a while and I'll continue to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment