Monday, February 16, 2015

Chia Seeds May Benefit Your Health

When I think of chia seeds the first thing that comes to my mind is the ceramic pet covered with seeds that sprouts and becomes the animal's coat.  They've been selling this novelty item for years, and I never knew the great benefits that the seeds had for humans!  Thanks to my new Ninja Professional, I have added chia seeds to my diet.

My friend Renee, who now lives in Florida and I only see or talk to through Facebook, is very much into health and nutrition.  She organized a 10 day detox after Thanksgiving, which I took part in.  You still ate three healthy meals a day, but in addition, drank a cranberry juice detox concoction three times a day.  The purpose was to get rid of the toxins in your body.  I did that, liked it, and although I didn't lose much weight (weight loss was only a side benefit of the detox), I felt it was beneficial.  Renee is also into drinking a meal supplement once a day for weight loss.  She uses a product called Juice Plus (which she sells), and adds fruits, vegetables, and supplements, like chia seeds to her mix.

Since I bought my Ninja Professional, I've been blending and making smoothies like crazy.  My standard mix is 1 cup of frozen fruit (I buy a big bag at Costco) and 1/2 cup Diet Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice (only 3 calories).  From there I just add whatever I want:  spinach, chard, kale, bananas, yogurt, and chia seeds.  I just got the seeds, and will start adding a tablespoon in each shake.  Here are some of the potential benefits of chia seeds, that mysterious seed from a flowering plant in the mint family, native to Mexico and Guatemala.  The anecdotal evidence lists it's positive benefits to include boosting energy, stabilizing blood sugar, aiding digestion, and lowering cholesterol.  Additionally
, it contains a huge nutritional profile.  It contains calcium, manganese, and phosphorous, and is a great source of healthy omega-3 fats.

Chia seeds are tasteless and have very little calories.  Sprinkle them on a salad, mix them into a vegetable dish, or blend them in a smoothie.  With all these potential benefits, and no negatives that I know of, give the little chia seed a try.  Did I mention that it is slightly gelatinous, which means when added to liquid it will expand, thus making you feel fuller?  It's great for weight loss too.  Maybe it will soon be considered one of the superfoods!

No comments:

Post a Comment