Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Slim Down With Gnudi

I'd never even heard of gnudi until a few weeks ago when I read a recipe for it on my new favorite recipe site, www.ornabakes.com.  Orna is a former Weight Watchers leader and ambassador for Weight Watchers, who will show you how to take your favorite recipes and slim them down.  She will also introduce you to some new foods, like gnudi.

Gnudi is similar to gnocchi, only instead of being made from potato, it's made from ricotta cheese.  It is lite and fluffy, and so very good.  We had them for dinner recently, and Ron loved them, and that's saying something.  He's hard to please these days.  Below is the recipe from Orna.  This recipe makes 32 gnudi.  I made only half the recipe, as I know it won't freeze well, and I'm not sure how long it will be good for leftovers.  I hope you enjoy.  Also, follow the directions exactly.  I didn't, and had a little disaster on my first batch.

                                                                  Gnudi With Marinara

1 12 ounce package of chopped spinach, defrosted and drained and wrung out (spinach should have no water in it)
1 cup low fat or non fat ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmesean cheese
2 eggs
6 T. flour
salt, pepper, and a dash of nutmeg
olive oil

Mix all ingredients together, except the olive oil.  Blend well but do not over mix.  The mixture should hold together well, as you are going to form it into balls.  Form into balls, about the size of mini ice cream scooper, or use a tablespoon and form with your hands, using extra flour if necessary.  Put balls on a plate and refrigerate for 15+ minutes before cooking.  I did not do this with my first batch and ended up with a mess.  In the meantime, get a pot of salty boiling water ready.  Put the balls in the water in batches, about 6-10 balls in each pot of water.  Lower them carefully into the water to prevent breaking, reduce the heat to a very low boil, and cook 5-7 minutes.  Remove with a slotted spoon, place on a plate to cool.  When cool, drizzle with a little oil, just to prevent sticking.  (You can omit this if you're really watching calories).  Place in a pan, and cover with your favorite marinara sauce.  When ready to eat, heat at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until heated through.  Top with a little extra parmesean cheese.  I think three gnudi is a substantial meal, for approximately 250 calories.  With a nice salad, it makes a great meal.  I hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment