Monday, May 25, 2015

Great Peruvian Food In LA

I was in LA in December to spend some time with our new grandson Calvin, and his parents, David and Tracy.  What a wonderful time we had!  Calvin is so precious, and I enjoy watching David and Tracy discover what parenthood is all about.  I did some baby sitting and gave the kids a chance to go shopping, exercise, whatever they wanted to do.  I want to go back and do it all again very soon.
I was with David, Tracy and Calvin during the day, but at night I spent time with my mom, something I always look forward to.  We planned to go out for a nice dinner, then come home and watch a little TV together.  Nothing special, but our time together, no matter what we do, is special to me.  At first I wanted to go to Fig and Olive on Melrose Place for dinner.  Having just been to the Newport Beach location for lunch a few days earlier, I was anxious to try the dinner menu.  I was so impressed with the restaurant when we went for lunch, I couldn't wait to go again.  It was not to be, however, as they were closed for a private party.  Instead, we tried Picca, a Peruvian restaurant on Pico near Robertson, and I'm so happy we did.  The food was amazing, and I'll try to tell you a little about the place now.

We arrived around 7pm which apparently is much too early, as it wasn't until 8-8:30 that crowds started arriving.  We didn't mind, as there were a few occupied tables and we got great service from our waiter, who had to explain the whole menu to us.  I won't attempt to do that here, but I will tell you, that the tastes and flavors are unique, not spicy, but just really good.  The menu is in Spanish, so our waiter was busy explaining.  Everything on the menu is a small plate, so we picked 5 dishes that we thought sounded interesting.  Our first dish was charred eggplant with sunchoke chips (delicious) and ponzu.  Next, we ordered beef tartare, with soy, avocado relish, wonton chips, on a bed of mashed potatoes.  We loved the next dish, a pumpkin and quinoa stew, fried egg, parmesean and roasted tomatoes.  The black cod on a skewer, with miso and crispy sweet potatoes was fantastic.  Our final dish was baby back ribs on a bed of coleslaw.  There are so many other fabulous dishes, too many for me to explain here.  Go to piccaperu.com to see the entire menu.  This is a great restaurant to go to with a group, as everything is shared.  You can try lots of flavors and still not eat too much.  The crowd was mostly couples in their 40's, and us.  If you're in LA, this is a place you may want to try, as we have nothing like it here in San Diego.  Even Qero which I dearly love, is quite different.  Be adventurous in your eating.  You may discover some new flavors that you really love.  I did.  The pumpkin stew was amazing.  The woman sitting next to us said she's been coming to Picca for several years, and she always gets the pumpkin stew.  It was wonderful, as was the entire meal.

(Pictures show the beef tartare, and the eggplant dish)

No comments:

Post a Comment