Monday, October 19, 2015

I'm Back From My Cruise

I'm lucky to still have my mother, Dorothy, loving life and living in Los Angeles.  I'm luckier, still, to be able to travel with her from time to time.  We just returned from a 10 day cruise from New York to Montreal, on the Crystal Symphony.  This was our third cruise together in the past few years, and like the previous two, was memorable.  Our port stops were Newport, R.I., Boston, Bar Harbor, St. John's, Halifax, Quebec City and Montreal.  We had perfect weather, great new friends on board, and beautiful towns and countryside to view.  We saw gorgeous fall colors, Beluga whales, quaint cities, Victorian architecture, and ate great food.  Crystal is know for fine food, and they did not disappoint.  Lobster, filet, shrimp cocktail, Beluga caviar, whatever you want, they deliver.  We asked  for Salzberger Nacharel, a wonderful meringue and whipped cream dessert, and they made it for our entire table.  Everyone loved it.

Crystal is an all inclusive cruise line, so alcohol is also included.  I'm not much of a drinker, but they do have a speciality drink every night, so I decided I would try the specialty drink every night.  Here's what I drank (well, at least tried) each night.  Cosmopolitan, Cardamon rose, Kir royale, Blood and sand, Cape Cod, Irish Coffee, Cucumber collis, Sea breeze, Aperol spritz, French martini.  The only ones I really like were the cucumber collis, sea breeze and aperol spritz.

Our friends from Encinitas, Karen and Jack, were also on our cruise.  She came up and tapped me on the shoulder in the elevator on day two, and we were cocktail companions for the rest of the trip.  We met in the bar at 5:30 each night, they with their martinis, me with the specialty drink of the day, and my mom, Dorothy, with a margarita.  We got to know each other well, and will miss  our late afternoon conversations.

As much as I love to travel, the best part is still coming home.  Ron held down the fort, took care of Pepper, and tried to keep himself occupied while I was gone.  The house was clean, and he had actually done a load of laundry.  Imagine that!  Happy to be home with my hubby and Pepper, but already missing the good times my mom and I shared together.  I will remember them always.

No comments:

Post a Comment