Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A Tour of Old Vista

I had never been to Vista until we moved to Ocean Hills.  Main Street, in old Vista, is just 10 minutes away from where we live now, and there's more to see and do there than you can possibly imagine.  My first introduction to Vista was when Regina took me to lunch at Curbside, probably the best breakfast and lunch place in the area.  Next, someone told me about Urbn Coal Fired Pizza, which has been my go to restaurant when I need a pizza fix.  Ron and I love the thin, crispy crust, and the fantastic salad.  I decided I needed to explore Vista a little more, and maybe take my Newcomers there one day.  That's exactly what I did.

Vista was incorporated in 1963.  Before that it consisted of 19 square miles of land divided into three areas that were originally land grants.  It became the "Avocado capital of the world " in the 1950's, and David Brinkley named it one of the top 30 places to live in America.  That really surprised me.

More recently Vista has attracted artists and beer brewers.  On Main Street there are now three breweries, and I suspect another is being built.  Art and artists abound in Vista.  There are many art studios, dance studios and theatre groups in Vista, but it was the art that got my attention.  There are murals everywhere.  The most interesting mural is a 561 foot mural done on the back of numerous buildings on Main Street.  The mural depicts the history of Vista, since the time it was inhabited by the Luisiano Indians, to the 1950's when they hosted the Vistacado Parade.  It shows all the businesses that flourished in Vista in the 1950's.   Most buildings have murals built on the side or back of them, and on most streets you will find many sculptures done by local artists, and many kites.  The kite program started several years ago to promote local artists.  Each year local artists compete in the kite contest to win a spot on the streets of Vista.  It's a great way for the city to promote art and to recognize some of the great artists living there.

I took a group of Newcomers there, 25 in all, in early March, and most were surprised and delighted to learn more about Vista.  Our lunch at Urbn was delicious, and I'm now looking for a new adventure to take this group of interesting, enthusiastic women to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment