Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Music And More At Kaboo

Fran was lucky enough to get VIP tickets to Kaboo, the music, food and art festival in Del Mar.  Last year was the first time it was held, and it was a huge success.  We wanted to see what it was all about, and Fran knows one of the performers, so was able to get tickets.  Prior to this concert, I had  probably been to four or five concerts in my life, like Rick Springsteen at the Coliseum in Los Angeles, and Neil Diamond at the Forum.  I'd never been to an outdoor concert like this.  The added bonus of Kaboo, was delicious food, wine and beer choices and some wonderful art.  We loved the day and evening, but I came home exhausted.  I definitely got in my 10,000 steps!

We were dropped off by Fran's husband, Jim, almost at the entrance to the fairgrounds.  That saved us at least 1/2 mile of walking.  We got our badges, and headed over to a concert venue on the other side of the fairgrounds, to see Sugar Ray and his band, which was excellent.  There are no seats, so don't even think you're going to sit down at one of these events.  Luckily we found a spot along the fence, and were able to lean for much of the time.  The concert was great, everyone singing along, arms waving in the air, wall to wall people having a good time.  What energy Sugar Ray has, after doing this for so many years!

Next, it was off to find water, then dinner, before we saw Hall and Oates and Jimmy Buffet.  There were at least 20 bands performing each day, so you have to pick and choose.  Dinner was our next choice.  We were surprised.  We both expected to see fair type food choices, and they were all there.  However, they also had some very gourmet choices.  Searsucker, City Tacos, Bottega Americano, Seaside Market, JSix, and many other wonderful restaurants from the area had limited menus for us to choose from.  We selected a Mediterranean restaurant in El Cajon, and had a delicious flatbread, topped with chicken, garlic, cheese and other good things.  Fran had one of the many beer choices.  We were lucky to find a picnic bench for dinner.  I saw many people eating standing up.

As day moves to night, the concerts get bigger and more crowded.  By the time Jimmie Buffet appeared on stage, it looked like Woodstock.  I tried to capture a picture of the crowd, but the picture doesn't  really capture it.  (the pictures I posted are of Sugar Ray and the crowd at the Jimmie Buffet concert). In any event, we were lucky to find VIP seats, yes seats, for the rest of the evening.  It helped a lot, as my legs were shot.  I noticed lots of other concert goers over 55 as the night wore on.  This was truly a concert that appealed to all ages.

My only disappointment was with the medical services.  A lady passed out at the afternoon concert, probably from too much sun and not enough water, but it took a full 15 minutes for EMT to get to her.  Also, water was not easily available.  You had to stand in a long line to get water.  All in all though, it was a great experience, which I'm glad I had.  I can check it off my bucket list.  Been there, done that.

No comments:

Post a Comment