Monday, November 12, 2018

What To Do With Red Snapper

My neighbor Max is quite the fisherman.  Every few months he goes out with a group, and usually comes back with quite a catch.  Last time he went, he returned with lots of red snapper and dorado.  Since I help (with another neighbor) take care of his 14 year old dog Sausage while he is gone, he rewards me with fish.  This time it was several nice pieces of red snapper.  One night I marinated the fish in some Italian dressing, then grilled it on the barbeque.  It was delicious.  Ron is not a real fish lover, so I decided to try something else with the rest of the red snapper.  Here's what I did.

Jewish deli's always have a whitefish spread on the menu.  I decided to try a red snapper spread.  It was fantastic.  I spread it on bagels or crackers.  Great as an appetizer or even as a sandwich.

One nice piece of red snapper
Mayonnaise
Sour cream
Horse radish or hot sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper

Season the fish, then grill in a pan until cooked.  Let it cool, then shred it.  In another bowl, add all the other ingredients, then mix in the fish.  Sorry I can't give you the amounts, but it should look similar to tuna salad.  Not too much mayonnaise, you can always add more.  I used horse radish, just enough to give it a little kick, but you could also use tabasco or other hot sauce.

The red snapper spread was a big hit!  I kept the spread in the refrigerator for about 5 days.  Then I got rid of what was left.  (not very much).  I didn't want to take any chances.  I assume you could use any mild fish, so next time you have fish ready to cook and you don't feel like having it as a main course, make it into a sandwich spread.  Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment