Wednesday, June 26, 2019

5 Weeks Post Op

I haven't felt like blogging for weeks now,but now I am back and ready to write a little.  My recovery from total knee replacement has been more difficult than I imagined.  My first knee surgery was a partial, which is so much easier.  When I went to see Dr. Bugbee a few days ago he said, "Now you know why I do a partial whenever possible."  Total replacement is so much more invasive, thus recovery is slower.

My biggest issue has been sleep.  I sleep for maybe two hours, then wake with pain or stiffness, and never get back in a deep sleep the rest of the night.  I had to get off the Norco, as it was making me feel fuzzy in the head and tired all the time.  I no longer have that extreme fatigue, but I am just plain tired from lack of sleep.  I have tried to control pain with Aleve and Tylenol, but it's just not doing the job.  I now have a 15 day prescription of Celebrex, an anti-inflammatory, that I 'm hoping will help.

The doctor says I'm healing well, the knee looks good, so why do I still feel so bad?  I need more time, he says, so I will try to be patient.  Everyone's different, and I just have to accept that my body is taking more time to heal than others.  The fact that I have additional stressors in my life probably contributes to slow healing, but I can't do much about that.  I'm just hoping that I will feel stronger soon.  We want to go out to dinner, and I'm not quite up to that yet.  For now, I will stay close to home, go out and do one thing each day (haircut today), nap, and try to get stronger.  As the old saying goes, "This too shall pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment