Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Support For Caregivers

When Ron was first diagnosed with ALS, we were asked if we wanted to join a support group.  At the time we felt it would be extremely depressing, as Ron was functioning normally at the time.  Even today, as the disease has slowly progressed and he is able to do less physically, we both feel the support group is not for us.  I have known many people over the years with other diseases like Parkinsons and cancer, who have joined support groups.  For many, support of others who face similar problems is very therapeutic.

Caregivers, regardless of who they are taking care of, face similar issues.  I was out to lunch recently with a friend whose husband is declining and needs her help now, and she had a great idea.  How about a support group for caregivers?  Regardless of what disease they are dealing with, caregivers have many things in common.  Talking about one's frustrations with others is very therapeutic.  I can't wait to find a small group of caregivers that want to get together and vent.  It really makes one feel better to know that their frustrations are normal, and talking about it makes the caregiver feel better.

I have been caring for Ron for several years now.  It has changed my life in many ways, as it has changed Ron's.  He is dependent on me for most of his daily activites, which certainly must be hard on him.  It has taught me patience, lots of patience.  It has made me learn to make the best of the time I have without Ron.  Most of all, it has taught me to appreciate everyday and everyone who is important to me.  The one thing we can never get back is time, so we no longer waste time going out with people we don't like, just to be polite, or doing anything that we don't enjoy.

To all you caregivers out there, make sure you have someone in your life to talk to.  If you are angry or frustrated, you need to talk about it to someone.  It's normal.  Besides the frustrations, there is a lot of satisfaction derived from caregiving.  Nothing makes me happier than to see Ron in the morning after breakfast, dressed and ready for a day of bridge or poker or work, with a smile on his face and, looking forward to life.  That is very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment