Monday, October 4, 2021

Will Bulk Shopping Change Forever?

 One of the things I missed most when the pandemic began was bulk food shopping at Whole Foods, Sprouts, and just about every other market around.  I loved going into North Coast Produce and buying 4 dates from the bin, rather than a big box that I would end up throwing out.  Bulk shopping allows the shopper to buy just what they want.  This is especially important for single people or just a couple, who can never use up a large box of hemp seed or flax seed.  It is so wasteful!

Well, the pandemic shut down bulk shopping right away.  You could find the bulk items prepacked by store employees in plastic bags, but it was never just what I wanted.  

For quite a while, companies were unsure regarding the safety of bulk grocery items, but I guess they are all following the science (what a concept) and the CDC must now say that bulk food offers no health risk of cross contamination, as originally thought.

Yippee.  I went to Winco in September and ALL the bulk items they offer were available.  I was so happy.  Then, I went to Sprouts a few days later, and found the same thing.  No more prepackaged food.  You can use the scoopers to fill your plastic bags and get just what you want.  

Although the pandemic rages on due to those that refuse to follow the science, at least we have bulk foods from the grocery companies now available, because the grocery industry IS following the science.

No comments:

Post a Comment